PHP/CURL -- using libcurl with PHP
Get libcurl functionality straight from within your PHP programs. PHP/CURL is supported built-in since PHP 4.0.2, no extra stuff is needed but PHP and libcurl installed.
PHP/CURL is a binding that uses libcurl. It means that the PHP team has written a glue layer for PHP that speaks to the underlying libcurl. That layer, the binding, is what we call PHP/CURL and that is what offers the functions named curl_* within the PHP language for you. The PHP/CURL binding is written, maintained and being provided by the PHP team and you will not find any binaries, DLLs or other packages for it on this site.
10 per minute for fopen/fread for 100 HTTP files
2000 per minute for PHP/CURL for 2000 HTTP files
(If you for some reason still don't read the instructions on the php.net site...) You need to enable the PHP/CURL support when you build PHP: install PHP/CURL. There's also the document with hints on how to install PHP/CURL on IIS.
We collect a list of PHP/CURL powered applications.
Docs and Examples
The PHP/CURL binding description is found on the PHP site.
We provide example sources showing how to use PHP/CURL in various ways.
These are all fine articles written by others. They are all fairly friendly towards newcomers to PHP/CURL.
Deploying libcURL with PHP by Sojish Krishnan.
Michael Reynolds wrote about credit card payment with curl (the command line tool) and PHP.
phpfreak wrote an 5-page introduction to PHP/CURL.
Jim Thome's simple getting-started with PHP/CURL.
higherpass.com's Using curl to Query Remote Servers (does in fact use PHP/CURL)
Mailing List / Forum
We have this special-purpose mailing list for PHP/CURL
phptrack.com runs a PHP/CURL web forum (heavily promoting their book...)
The PECL HTTP package that might in fact suit you better! It too uses libcurl.
The following books have a varying degree of PHP/CURL documentation included:
- PHP Functions Essential Reference by Zak Greant, Graeme Merrall, Torben Wilson and Brett Michlitsch. It has a full chapter with basicly the PHP/curl online manual included.
- The PHP Programmer's Cookbook by Sterling Hughes contains some PHP/CURL-using examples.
- PHP and MySQL Web Development by Luke Welling and Laura Thomson contains some PHP/CURL info.
- Beginning PHP4 by Lea, Choi, Ken, Prasad and Ullman seems to only mention a few PHP/CURL functions very briefly.
- PHP/CURL Examples Book with Tutorial Help and online Assistance by Muhammad Imran Khalid. It is claimed to contain examples, step by step guides, "header tracking solutions", XML, credit card processing etc.
The PHP/CURL module was written by Sterling Hughes.
What is PHP
You'll find more info on the official PHP web page.
[*] = The performance numbers above comes from admin at sellchain dot com