curl-users

Re: anything for the upcoming release?

From: Domenico Andreoli <cavok_at_filibusta.crema.unimi.it>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 12:16:44 +0100

On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 05:04:07PM +0100, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> What -rpath parameter? The one that libtool might use? I'm not aware of a
> situation where I can tell libtool what flags to use, it automatically finds
> out what flags your platform needs. The libtool docs at gnu.org says this as
> well.

using a recent version of libtool should suffice.

> > moreover, if you start doing libraries (and, again, i know you do that
> > kind of things :)) )
>
> So why the if? libcurl is a library and has been for some time.

i was joking :) i know that libcurl is a library.

> > why libcurl.so.0.0.0 if it is 7.4.2 or something else?!?
>
> First, because I haven't paid attention properly. Second, it won't be named
> '7.4.2' in the binary file even when I correct this behaviour.

i'm happy to have raised an important question... :)

for me it is ok whatever name you choose, only i need a guarantee that
something in the name (or it should really be in the soname) changes on any
interface modification since i, and whoever cares about the insertion in a
distribution, will keep both the old and the new version at the same time for a
while until the transition finishes. this is a must to keep all the "old"
software linked to the old library still functioning.

which name scheme are you thinking at?

-----[ Domenico Andreoli, aka cavok
 --[ http://filibusta.crema.unimi.it/~cavok/gpgkey.asc
  --[ 3A0F 2F80 F79C 678A 8936 4FEE 0677 9033 A20E BC50