curl-users

Re: MANUAL

From: Domenico Andreoli <cavok_at_filibusta.crema.unimi.it>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 14:28:39 +0100

On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 01:26:05PM +0100, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Dec 2000, Domenico Andreoli wrote:
>
> > i hope you are using docbook in writing docs/MANUAL!
>
> I don't. What is it? :-)

DocBook is a DTD (Document Type Definition). technically it is the set
of SGML (or XML) rules that defines the structure of the document.

once your document has a structure you are saying more about what is
in it (this is a command line, this is a type definition, this is a
chapter, this is a reference...). the rendering for output (ps, html,
pdf, tex, plain text...) is done in a second stage using a style sheets.

moreover, since the document is structured it can be archived and
indexed in a better way since the parser kwnows what are you talking
about in that given context...

brief explanation of what is SGML is here:
  http://ella.slis.indiana.edu/~jfieber/docbook/at1.html

manual of docbook is here:
  http://docbook.org

the concept starting writing in the best way, we don't know where
curl is going. if you want continue distributing it in text it is not
a problem. but if tomorrow you want to publish it on the web it is just
a matter of second and it is on-line from-the-same-source! update
it in a place and distribute the changes, everyone on its best way.

the sources in docbook look like some strange html, but i'm sure it is
a matter of (few) minutes and you'll feel like at home.

> > if not i could offer myself to do the job.
>
> Please go ahead, I'm certain it is a good thing!

i haven't started yet but i think i could do. in the spare time. :)

-----[ Domenico Andreoli, aka cavok
 --[ http://filibusta.crema.unimi.it/~cavok/gpgkey.asc
  --[ 3A0F 2F80 F79C 678A 8936 4FEE 0677 9033 A20E BC50