curl-users

Re: RE: Visual C++ 6.0 linking problems

From: Craig Davison <cd_at_securityfocus.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 14:21:54 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Kevin P Roth wrote:

> The curl-ssl-devel.zip file contains a pre-built libcurl.dll file, along
> with the libcurl.a library file (I think it works fine to rename libcurl.a
> to libcurl.lib and reference that file from VC++ when compiling your own
> curl client, but I can't remember for sure). If you properly reference those
> files (probably you need to specify in your project settings that
> libcurl.(a|lib) should be linked into your client code) then you should have
> no trouble compiling your project.

This is not true. The Gnu ld .a format and Microsoft .lib are completely
different. Although I've always wondered why Ming didn't just produce lib
files... Even new versions of Borland C++ Builder create lib files (as
opposed to def?) AFAIK.

You can go into lib\ and type
nmake -f Makefile.vc6 release-ssl (or release)
To just build the libraries. It works great for me.

> Alternatively, if your target machines all have at least IE 4.x installed,
> you might look into using the wininet library that comes with IE4 and 5.
> There is sample code a msdn.microsoft.com, and you'll probably need to
> download part of the platform SDK to get the library files you need, but
> it's not a bad tool, given the right circumstances...

I'd also suggest looking into the urlmon.dll functions ("URL functions" in
MSDN). Some of these functions are even asynchronous and use callbacks.
They're not as easy to use as curl, however.