curl-users

Re: cURL FTP to VMS MultiNet FTP server timeout

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 09:58:43 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 27 Dec 2001, Smith, Jeffrey J. wrote:

[sorry for not having replied earlier, I've been away from my mail the last
two weeks something]

> We're running cURL commands from a Perl script on a Windows 2000 server.
> When the script is executed manually, files are transfered reliably.
> However, when the same command is executed from a scheduled job, the file
> transfer will time out regularly. But with repeated retries, it finally
> succeeds.

> Since we use the same script to transfer file with different FTP servers
> reliably, we believe the problem is with the VMS Multinet FTP server.

> Has anyone seen a problem with cURL ftp and the Multinet's FTP server?

> Or, does anyone have a suggestion on strategies for dealing with FTP server
> timeout from the cURL client?

I have not seen this reported before, and if the problem is really related to
the remote server software, I can't come up with any good work-around on what
curl could do to work better. I believe curl speaks FTP as good as possible
and if the server "hangs" at some point, there's not much to do but to
timeout and disconnect leaving the user to retry...