curl-users

Re: curl: ftp anonymous password

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 17:29:45 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 2 Jan 2002 eperez_at_dei.inf.uc3m.es wrote:

> > I don't think so. Some strict ftp server checks for something that looks
> > like a valid email, and by not having anything on the right side of the @
> > letter it is not a valid email address.
>
> Did you know that Internet Explorer 5.x and Netscape Communicator 4.x
> the two most used browsers send "IEUser@" and "mozilla@" respectively ?
>
> If an ftp server doesn't let anonymous ftp passwords with nothing at
> right side of the @ letter their are cutting most ftp requests.

Yes, I am aware of that and I've seen it happen myself.

The people who would enable such an option in an FTP server probably *want*
that to happen since they're trying to get an actual email address entered.
Of course, following that logic it is only a matter of time until they add
specific checks for the most common user-agents' anonymous passwords too...

> What about using anonymous_at_example.com as current mozilla does ?

That is more in the line of how my brain works. I'll probably make curl start
using this soon.

Your patch forgot that there's a range of test cases that need to be modified
accordingly as well... Anyone who cares are welcome to contribute with
patches!

> > I wouldn't go so far to actually call that spyware.
>
> Yes, that's your point of view.

Not only mine, but I don't think that is relevant.