curl-users

Re: keep-alive HTTP session

From: shlomit lisser <shlomit_at_gosms.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 15:44:21 +0200

Hello!

What I meant, regarding the second page is that the first page is a login
request
and since the connection is being closed, the second requests is accepted
by the web server as a second login request and is being refused,
what I can't figure out yet is how then a normal IE works, where you
get the data with no problem, if indeed the connection is being closed
by the web server?

Also regarding the post/get issue. If a user sends tow URLs it
should be fairly easy to distinguish a POST from GET request,
something like -

curl -o tmp.tmp --cacert ..... -d gfdgfdgfd !first_url ?another_url

the first URL is a post request and the second is of course a get request.
It looks like a small change that could be very handy. Just an idea...

Shlomit.

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, shlomit lisser wrote:
> ok, after some reading, sending the keep-alive header is really optional
> and it will not work if the appropriate token is not being sent.
Right, HTTP 1.1 does persistent connections by default if nothing else is
told. And curl doesn't disconnect anything on purpose unless told so.
> However according to your reply if I put two consecutive URLs in a command
> line (both from the same site) cURL will use the same connection, right?
Yes, if the server permits it.
> well that is what I'm doing, I'm sending a login request (post) to a secure
> site and then a link inside the site that should retrieve some data, and it
> looks that the connection is being closed after the first page is being
> received ( I'm getting a 'Closing connection #0'line in cURL output)
Many SSL-enabled sites work that way. Curl really can't do anything if the
server decides to close the connection, it can only obey and do its best.
> and opened again re-using the SSL session id.
Re-using the SSL session id is at least a performance gain compared to both a
new connection AND a new session id.
> The second page received specify that the user already logged in, which
> coincide with the above.
I don't follow you here.
> Also the second url should be a get request and it is sent as a post (due
> to the first request I guess).
curl has no ability to first POST and then GET using one single command line.

Shlomit Lisser
Product Manager
GoSMS.com - - Mobile Internet Made Easy
Email: shlomit_at_gosms.com