curl-users

RE: multiple upload syntax?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 23:40:01 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, Roth, Kevin P. wrote:

> I think all three of your proposed versions (A,B & C) should be supported.
> They all make sense.

I don't think we can support version A at the same time we support B/C.

> Also, don't forget that http uploads would need the exact same abilities
> (including sending multiple files to the same URL, such as
> http://some.site/posting.acceptor.php).

As this would be a pure application-side code change, this would indeed work
exactly the same for any of the supported protocols.

> It seems to me that this problem is very similar to the existing ability to
> specify alternative output filenames for downloaded files (except,
> obviously, in reverse).

I agree, it is indeed similar.

> I believe you currently allow the following:
>
> 1. curl -O http://some.url/some.file http://some.url/some.other.file
> -> Uses the remote site's filename in the Current-Working-Directory (CWD).

Not quite. We require one specific output option for each given download URL,
or it goes to stdout. So this command line would download the first file with
-O, and the second file would be sent to stdout. You would need two -O (or -o)
options to get both saved to local files.

We should also remember to support mixed uploads and downloads, by offering a
-T version that switches off upload. Like -T "" or something. So, to first
download one file then upload one file in a single command line, it could look
like this:

  curl -T "" -o file http://file.com -T uploadit -o result http://file.com