curl-users

Re: Question About CURL and Sessions.

From: Ralph Mitchell <rmitchell_at_eds.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 10:47:16 -0500

If that first page, the login page, is actually a fill-in form displayed
by the browser, you're going to have to save the html, extract the form
entry elements and post them back to the server.

The "-u user:pass" feature in curl only handles the pop-up
authentication boxes, which have a well-defined interface that's not
under (much) user control. Any random logon page written by a web
developer could use any random variable names for the userid and
password, which makes it essentially impossible for curl to fill in that
kind of form. The variable names don't even have to be English words...

Ralph Mitchell