curl: argument list too long

From: Shane Russo <>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 17:35:55 +1000

I am using curl to automate logging into a site and downloading some files.

The site uses ASP.Net and has Viewstate activated.

The viewstate for one of the pages I am trying to post a form back to is
over 70kb and I am getting the error :

curl: argument list too long

The command I am using is:

curl -L -A "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows 95)" -c
/usr/home/shane/Cubit/cookies.txt -b /usr/home/shane/Cubit/cookies.txt -d

Is there a workaround for this (can I load the arguments in via a file and
get around the argument list limit in that way?)

SEEK: Now with over 50,000 dream jobs! Click here: