curl-users

Re: more finegrained timeouts?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 23:48:45 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006, Manfred Schwarb wrote:

> Additionally, I observed that these large pretransfer values are combined
> with heavily reduced data throughput, simply because the server is
> overloaded, e.g. 30kb/s instead of 700kb/s. So chances are good, that such
> transfers trap into max-time or speed-limit some 10 minutes later, so this
> is just wasted time then. And if you have to download 60 beasts, this
> accumulates ...
>
> IMHO, --connect-timeout is simply useless (for me) for ftp transfers as it
> is at the moment. The time till transfer begins matters, not the connection
> time. So I would be perfectly happy, if connect-timeout would include
> pretransfer time too. But I guess this is not an option for you.

I see your point and understand why you'd like this suggested new timeout
feature.

Now the part that you won't like: I'm up to my ears with work (both curl and
other) and I have no plans to address your wishes anytime soon.

The proper fix to support this of course takes adding a new option to libcurl
and make sure that libcurl is taught to respect it where it should...

> PS: I just see that "curl --help" does not correspond with the man-page
> (curl 7.15.3): --ftp-method is missing.

Ooops. Added it now! Thanks for pointing it out.