curl-users

Re: Curl Newbie question

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 23:24:13 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006, David Cook wrote:

> I am trying to connect to a secure ftp ip

I hope "secure ftp ip" means FTP SSL? And even if it does, it can be either
explicit or implicit which actually makes two different syntaxes:

  curl --ftp-ssl ftp://host/

or

  curl ftps://host/

If it means SFTP, you'll need to build curl from CVS since it is still very
early support for that.

> using pasv

You don't login using pasv. PASV is used to setup the data transfer
connection, and is used by default by curl.

> log in and then send/receive files.

curl is designed to send/receive one file per URL, but you can specify any
amount of URLs on the command line. So, to upload many files you must specific
all the files and their respective target URL on the command line.

> I have tried a few things from the command line to no avail.

I'm sure we can give better help and advice if you show us what you've tried
(and failed) with.

> It is my understanding that curl is not interactive so I'm not sure where to
> go from here.

> 3. Send all files from a specific unix directory on my system to a location
> on the remote system.

curl doesn't have any feature that "send all" or similar. You'll have to write
a script that'd gather all file names and pass them to curl for uploading.

> 4. Receive all files into a specific unix directory on my system from a
> location on the remote system.

Similarly, curl doesn't "Receive all" either but you'd need to first list the
files of a particular dir and then request all of them, one by one by name.