curl-users

Re: host name with hyphen or underscore at the beginning

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 13:57:45 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007, Haejoong Lee wrote:

> Here's an example: http://-islam.maktoobblog.com/.
>
> Actually, I started feeling that this problem is not related to curl. I
> tried this url with firefox on 3 machines: linux, freebsd and windows. It
> only works on windows machine. So, I guess the culprit is the resolver that
> you talked about.

<quote>
  Unlike domain names, hostname labels can only be made up of the ASCII letters
  'a' through 'z' (case-insensitive), the digits '0' through '9', and the
  hyphen. Labels can not start nor end with a hyphen. Special characters other
  than the hyphen (and the dot between labels) are not allowed, although they
  are sometimes used anyway. Underscore characters are commonly used by Windows
  systems but according to RFC 952 they are not allowed
</quote>

Quote from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hostname