curl-users

Re: gsoc2008!

From: Alessandro Vesely <vesely_at_tana.it>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 10:18:34 +0100

Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Mar 2008, Alessandro Vesely wrote:
>
>>> http://curl.haxx.se/docs/gsoc2008.html
>>
>> I'd be curious to know what is that "SMTP" project there and how it
>> relates with curl.
>
> I'd think you'd be perfectly capable of thinking about that yourself!

Since SMTP is a protocol, one obvious thing I can think of is to add
SMTP to curl, so that one can send mail using curl, much like one can
do with, say, msmtp. I guess that should be discussed in curl-library.

Less obvious projects may exist. For example, using web services to
coordinate the activity of a backup MX server (or other forwarder) and
the primary MTA. That is, fix SMTP forwarding with a program or script
that *uses* curl. Thus, that might be discussed in curl-users.

> Whatever project a potential gsoc student suggests, it will of course be
> subject for thoughts and debates on how suitable, good, useful, fun or
> bad it is for curl.

The second example above would not bring any good or bad to curl. Does
that disqualify it as a project presentable under cURL's mentorship?

I guess students are to be caught on these mailing lists. Those who go
to google.com will be presented with a huge list of mentoring
organizations and I don't understand how should a student pick up a
criterion for choosing one among them... Luckily, given my tender age,
I don't think I can apply as a student any more :-)

What qualifications are required to apply as a mentor?