curl-users

FTP Download Problem - code 78

From: Fred Machado <fmmach_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 09:39:06 -0200

Hello everyone,

I suppose that this is a pretty dummy question, but as I couldn't sort
things out by myself, I kindly ask for your help.
I need to read a remote file from an FTP server protected by password. I try
to list the contents of the directory like this:

curl -u name:passwd ftp://ftpserver.com.br/

That gives me the contents in the directory for my user:

-CR-EM----FTP A name 7123 124477 Dec 08 08:36 manual.txt
Total number of batches listed: 1

Then, I try to retrieve the file named manual.txt

curl -u name:passwd ftp://ftpserver.com.br/manual.txt

However, I get the following exit code:
curl: (78) Remote file not found

I read in cURL's manual that this operation is exactly like this:

curl -u name:passwd ftp://machine.domain:port/full/path/to/file

I wonder if I am misunderstanding this instruction. Does "full/path/to/file"
mean that I must know the full path in the server's file system? Or is it a
problem of permissions?

I really appreciate your attention.
Best regards,

Fred