curl-users Mailing List Archives

Re: encoding caracters

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 22:23:20 -0700

On Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 11:19:26AM +0100, Michel RIGAUD wrote:
> The chain of caracters with accents (ιθ...) I send with curl shows on the web
> site as unreadable
> I don't see nothing about encoding caracters in curl help
> It works correctly when I use a form with a browser
> So what's the difference between browser and curl ?

curl just sends whatever raw data--it doesn't interpret it at all. A browser
might send the name of the character set it uses along with the data,
or it sends data using a different character set than you're using. If you use
something like LiveHTTPHeaders in the browser, you can compare what it sends
to what curl sends in the same instance and find out where it differs.

>>> Dan