curl-users

Re: which list is which (was Re: TFTP issues in curl lib 7.19.4)

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 10:01:16 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009, G. T. Stresen-Reuter wrote:

> I realize your area of expertise may not be visual design, nor is mine, so
> please take these suggestions with a grain of salt. What do you think of the
> following?

It's not only not my area of expertise, I'm probably even worse than average
when it comes to these matters...! :-/

> 1. I would put the most active list at the top of the list (interchange
> curl-library and curl-users) since curl-library appears to have more traffic
> (and thus those who don't read what each list is for will be more likely to
> get it right).

Done. And I updated the description and made the description for curl-library
bigger than the other ones...

> 2. I would tweak (increase) the spacing between lines

Done.

> If you're interested, I could probably mock up a design that *might* be more
> readable (or just adapt one of the thousands of open source designs on the
> web). Let me know.

Oh please do, I can surely use some help here!

> 3. I would modify the labels of the links to the list subscription
> interfaces. Rather than show the actual list names in the table, I would use
> more descriptive labels such as:
>
> curl-library => libcurl Topics
> curl-users => Curl <em>Command Line</em> Topics
> curl-announce => Announcements of New Versions
> curl-tracker => Issue Tracking
>
> I realize the existing names stem from historical list naming schemes

I'd rather not. Because I use the list names to refer to the specific lists
all the times so if I don't name them there it'll be harder for people to find
specific lists like after I've mentioned one for them or similar.

> 4. I don't think I would use a table for the list of lists (ha ha). I think
> this is a good opportunity for a definition list (DL, DT, DD) which can then
> be styled as needed via CSS.

Quite possibly, but I did some basic attempts and failed miserably to make
something that looked decent so I stayed with just polishing up the table...

Thanks a lot for your feedback on this!