Change Accept-Encoding order?

From: Simon Lyall <>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 10:55:01 +1200 (NZST)

I'm not sure if this actually counts as a bug but currently [1] curl will
send the following Accept-Encoding header when using the --compress option

Accept-Encoding: deflate, gzip

I was wondering if the order could be reversed? Since IE and Firefox (at
least ) send "gzip, deflate" when they request pages and (it appears) the
defacto standard is for the server to serve up the first match.

This is mainly prompted by some testing I was doing to make sure I was not
using deflate anywhere due to the incompatibility between Microsoft's and
other people's implementation [2] .

[1] $ curl --version
curl 7.19.5 (i486-pc-linux-gnu) libcurl/7.19.5 OpenSSL/0.9.8g zlib/
Protocols: tftp ftp telnet dict ldap ldaps http file https ftps
Features: GSS-Negotiate IDN IPv6 Largefile NTLM SSL libz

[2] (see comments)

Simon Lyall  |  Very Busy  |  Web:
"To stay awake all night adds a day to your life" - Stilgar | eMT.
List admin: