curl-users

Re: curl 7.20.1 on windows 7 crash using remote-name

From: Jon <jon.forums_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 09:42:10 -0400

> This _is_ a stack trace. Only the symbols are missing, thus there are only
> addresses. Basically the same happens on Linux when the binary is stripped
> and separate debuginfo is missing.

Yes, as expected all debug info is missing from curl.exe

c:\>objdump -p curl.exe | less

curl.exe: file format pei-i386

Characteristics 0x30e
        executable
        line numbers stripped
        symbols stripped
        32 bit words
        debugging information removed

> Jon, are you able to (re)build curl.exe with debugging information (-g),
> unstripped and ideally without optimizations (-O0)?

I'll try, but I'm in the middle of upgrading/rebuilding my system and the state of my MSys/MinGW environment is a mess.

Just downloaded the source and quickly looked through things and it appears I can do a simple build by doing the following from my MinGW environment:

c:\curl_build>mingw32-make mingw32 CFLAGS="-g3 -ggdb -O0 -DBUILDING_LIBCURL"

Will that work or should I just to edit the CFLAGS lines in lib/Makefile.m32 and src/Makefile.m32?

Jon

On an unrelated note, I noticed the ".rc.res" targets in the above makefiles look like:

.rc.res:
        $(RC) $(RCFLAGS) $< -o $@

Please consider updating them to look something like:

.rc.res:
        $(RC) --preprocessor="$(CC) -E -xc" -DRC_INVOKED $(RCFLAGS) $< -o $@

...as that should(?) allow one to build curl with http://llvm.org/ using a simple CC override and an existing windres from MinGW's binutils. I do something similar when building gvim :)