curl-and-php

Re: SSL: couldn't create a context!

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 16:56:00 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 rab_at_noldar.com wrote:

> curl_errorno() returns a value of 27 and curl_error() returns "SSL: couldn't
> create a context!". In the apache error log I also see these entries.
>
> * About to connect() to www.privacycall.com:443
> * Connected to privacycall.com (162.42.131.214) port 443
> * SSL: couldn't create a context!
> * Closing connection #0

I've seen this reported before by PHP/CURL users, but I've never understood it
nor seen an explanation or fix for it. (Perhaps there are people over on the
curl-and-php list that know more, I cc this reply over there.)

The error message "SSL: couldn't create a context!" is a sever error meaning
that the OpenSSL function SSL_CTX_new() failed. libcurl can't perform anything
SSL-related then, and returns an error back.

Also, this problem has only been reported by PHP/CURL users and never by
anyone else. I'd say this hints us that this might have something to do with
the fact that your Apache is built with and using OpenSSL, and so does
libcurl, and something collides because of that.