Re: header bytes not being reset on each perform

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 23:45:24 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, Rick Jones wrote:

> well, i commented-out the call to set the write function, so the headers
> and bodies were written to the files:

I'm sorry, I didn't read your posted test-program properly. I had a look now
and the problem is that you do multiple curl_easy_perform() calls on the same
handle, which libcurl really don't support (as of now).

You need to cleanup()+init() between each perform().

> does libcurl close the connection after every request?

Yes. I intend to add support for persistant connections. I need volounteers
to help me with it.

> is resetting the header bytes only done on a connection close?

No, the header byte count is reset before each new connection is made.

> actually, for the application I plan on using libcurl - an
> "HTTP_DOWNLOAD" test in netperf3, is there a way to control that on a
> request by request basis?

Control what? The header size counter?

> to make system call traces easier, i changed the retrieved URL to just
> say "hello world" looking then at the sytem call trace, I see read() (why
> not recv?) returning the same number of bytes for each request.

libcurl uses TCP connections and you use read() to get data from such (at
least you do in unix).