Re: granularity of data

From: Rick Jones <>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 09:56:35 -0700

> The actual granularity of the timers is left to the lower OS layer to
> provide. The gettimeofday() struct indicates up to microsecond
> resolution, while the GetLocalTime() struct has a millisecond field.

And one should not assume that if the structure returned in gettimeofday
has microseconds that one actually gets microsecond granularity. In the
SPEC benchmarking world, we've encountered a number of systems where the
accuracy was measured in milliseconds. Not a problem until you want to
measure individual sub-millisecond quantities who's start times are
based on a timer expiration :)

rick jones

feel free to email, OR post, but please do NOT do BOTH...
my email address is raj in the domain...
Curl-library mailing list