Re: weird timings from curl_easy_getinfo

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 08:25:35 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 8 Aug 2001, Oleg Bartunov wrote:

> I have in my program:
> curl_easy_setopt(curl, CURLOPT_TIMEOUT, 100);
> curl_easy_setopt(curl, CURLOPT_CONNECTTIMEOUT,200);
>
> Look at numbers - NAMELOOKUP_TIME = 112.725 seconds !

Yes, but the timeout on name lookups are (still) signal-based and I really
don't know if/how that works in multi-threaded cases.

Do those timeout settings actually affect anything in this case?

> When I did the same operation from command line using curl:
> curl -K ./CONF http://99.tsu.ru:80/
> I get normal numbers
> 23.589|0.002|9.484|9.484|8227|348.767

Well, then it is a pretty different story, isn't it? I have no idea really
how the scheduling is done in your system when you use 100 threads, but in
theory it is certainly possible that one thread takes a long time.

What if you add code to your program that measures the total time outside the
curl_easy_perform() call? The numbers should be very close if libcurl is
correct.

--
     Daniel Stenberg -- curl dude -- http://curl.haxx.se/