Re: Tru64 problems (was Re: Persistant Connections testing)

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 23:27:07 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Dimitris Sarris wrote:

> > Can you be a little more detailed, please? What's crash reason? Does it
> > always crash on that single place?
>
> No, it now crashes before a call to "fputs", inside the "Curl_infof"
> function. I believe that there is a memory violation bug hidden in your
> code.

It certainly appears so. Do you think you can set a break-point a little
earlier and single-step through that passage to detect exactly when that
happens?

I have an idea what the problem might be! Can you try to extend the
"hostent_buf" array size from the current 8192 to something like 9000? It
struck me that we had very similar problems before in another part of the
curl code and this is a comment from hostip.c just before the
gethostbyname_r() call:

  /* Allocate enough memory to hold the full name information structs and
   * everything. OSF1 is known to require at least 8872 bytes. The buffer
   * required for storing all possible aliases and IP numbers is according to
   * Stevens' Unix Network Programming 2nd editor, p. 304: 8192 bytes! */

As Tru64 is the successor of OSF1, I bet it has similar requirements...