Re: install - on solaris

From: Jean Robertson <jean.robertson_at_mcgill.ca>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 10:12:00 -0500

Hello,

For the sake of clarity and brevity, I have editied the previous
message to concentrate on packaging issues on Solaris.

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 11:50:54PM +0100, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Jan 2002, rick vaillancourt wrote:
> > I have untar'd curl-ssl-7.9.2-sparc-2.6.pkg.tar[1] to a test diectory.

This is a binary package for Solaris Sparc 2.6

> > from what I am reading on "curl.haxx.se/docs/install", the following looks
> > like the appropriate steps.
> >
> > ./configure
> > make
> > make test (optional)
> > make install

These are instructions for the source code.

> Those installation steps you refer to are what it takes to build curl and
> libcurl from the standard source distribution archive. You, however, didn't
> get one of those. You have downloaded a binary package pre-compiled for
> Solaris 2.6 on Sparc.
>
> Based on the 'pkg' part of the file name, I figure it means that you should
> use 'pkgadd' and family to install this package in your system.
>
> Jean, can you give us some more details?

Sure.

Unfortunately, I never created a 7.9.2 package for Solaris Sparc 2.6
I did create one for Solaris 8.

I created a 7.9 package for Solaris 2.6

These instructions will be the same for either package.

1) de-tar, gunzip the source package in a directory that is world
writeable from the top. A good place for this is /tmp.

The reason for this is the "checkinstall" script which chokes if the
upper directories are not world readable, and probably world writeable.
(This is one of the mysteries of the Solaris packaging system that I
cannot explain).

The "checkinstall" script makes sure that the package is installed on
the right platform and O/S version.

2) after the tar operation you will have a directory created, called
"curlssl"

Under that directory, you will find files like pkginfo and pkgmp.
You will also find directories "install" and "reloc"

If you have looked at these files and the directories, go back up to the
directory where you un-tar'ed the package.

3) as root, install the package with a "pkgadd -d. curlssl" command.

It will install the binary in /opt/bin, documentation in /opt/doc/curl-7.9.2,
libraries in /opt/lib, header files in /opt/include, html docs in
/opt/doc/html/curl-7.9.2, etc.

If you do not have an /opt directory, it will create it, and all others
needed.

The package name is "curlssl".

The package can be uninstalled by running the "pkgrm curlssl" command.

Lots of fine info can be had by doing "man pkgadd"

More info can be had at http://sunfreeware.com/

4) as a regular user, make sure /opt/bin is in your PATH variable.
Also make sure that you have a MANPATH variable set that includes
/opt/man
(mine looks like /opt/man:/usr/dt/man:/usr/man:/usr/openwin/share/man )

5) as this is a libcurl mailing list, if you are compiling against the
libraries, make sure that /opt/lib is included in the search path for
the compiler/linker. Newer "gcc" versions find this directory, but not
all will.

Also make sure that /opt/include in in the path for header files.

If these instructions do not work, please let me know.
Include info about your platform, O/S version and the exact location and
filename that you have downloaded.

(Send the output of a "uname -a" command for the platform and O/S info).

I hope this helps.

Jean

--
Jean Robertson, McGill University +1 (514) 398-8117