Re: asynch name resolves

From: Greg Hudson <ghudson_at_MIT.EDU>
Date: 23 Jul 2003 14:13:58 -0400

On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 09:36, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 crpalmer_at_vivisimo.com wrote:
> > It would also be interesting to see if the original author would like to be
> > involved in Curl...

Not so much, sorry. My non-work cycles are pretty much all allocated
towards Subversion. (ares is work cycles, though it's not very
high-priority compared to debugging stupid GNOME 2 problems.)

> It seems it does pretty much everything we need then, with the lack of IPv6
> lookups as an exception. But I don't mind proceeding with adding support for
> asynchrous lookups first for IPv4 addresses, and when we get that working we
> can proceed and make ares grok IPv6 as well.

You could do an AAAA lookup using current ares; you would just have to
do all the answer parsing yourself. (Same situation for an MX lookup.)
At the time I initially wrote ares, there was still a question of
whether AAAA or A6 would win out. There's also a question of what the
API would look like and, if I'm going to borrow system data structures
like I do for ares_gethostbyname(), how to ensure portability.

On the mainline, ares has been restructured a bit, so that there is a
generic ares_parse_message() function, making it a bit easier for either
the caller or the library to add support for new types. I haven't yet
converted ares_parse_a_reply() and ares_parse_ptr_reply() to use it yet;
my work on ares tends to be very occasional.

Doing DNS lookups over IPv6 would, of course, require changes to the
core resolving code. I don't know if there's much demand for that yet.

> > http://vivisimo.com/ares/ares-1.1.1-win32patch

Interesting... but I don't feel that I could maintain such an extensive
amount of Windows-specific code, so I'm not going to fold it in at this
point.