Re: telnet and license

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 10:35:33 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, Nick Turley wrote:

> I have two questions regarding libcurl.
>
> The first is, how do I send data to a telnet session, and read back the
> input. I am designing the application to log into hosts on the network, type
> in certain commands, and send back the data from host. It may be a simple
> solution, such as reading stdout or something, but Im not sure how to do
> this using the libcurl layer.

I answer this question from time to time, and I figure some of the best old
replies to read on this topic are these:

http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2001-11/0043.html
http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2003-02/0043.html
http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2003-05/0076.html

The summary is: the telnet support is far from as good as we'd like it to be.
You feed data on stdin and you'll get data back using the write callback.

> My second question is, Im a engineer for IBM, and we plan on using libcurl
> in this application. Are there any licensing restrictions on how we use
> libcurl? (This will be an In-house application, and not sold) I know the
> documentation said we could, but I just wanted to double check. I don’t feel
> like getting people in trouble. :)

There are basicly no restrictions. The only ones are mentioned in the COPYING
file, and it basicly boils down to the fact that you may not remove the
copyright notices and the COPYING file itself from copies.

Of course I appreciate if you recognize my work by using an appropriate
announcement somewhere in the product and/or documentation.