Re: asynch name resolves

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 11:35:53 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, Greg Hudson wrote:

> You could do an AAAA lookup using current ares; you would just have to do
> all the answer parsing yourself. (Same situation for an MX lookup.) At the
> time I initially wrote ares, there was still a question of whether AAAA or
> A6 would win out. There's also a question of what the API would look like
> and, if I'm going to borrow system data structures like I do for
> ares_gethostbyname(), how to ensure portability.

Right, I primarily envision an ares_getaddrinfo() function that would replace
the need for ares_gethostbyname() just like getaddrinfo() does with the good
old gethostbyname(). (and an ares_freeaddrinfo() of course.)

> On the mainline, ares has been restructured a bit, so that there is a
> generic ares_parse_message() function, making it a bit easier for either the
> caller or the library to add support for new types. I haven't yet converted
> ares_parse_a_reply() and ares_parse_ptr_reply() to use it yet; my work on
> ares tends to be very occasional.

Seeing that it was more than two years since the 1.1.1 release, I didn't
expect you to do _any_ work on it really! ;-)

> Doing DNS lookups over IPv6 would, of course, require changes to the core
> resolving code. I don't know if there's much demand for that yet.

I think there is some demand, as people tend to notice when I break ipv6
functionality in curl... ;-)

> > > http://vivisimo.com/ares/ares-1.1.1-win32patch
>
> Interesting... but I don't feel that I could maintain such an extensive
> amount of Windows-specific code, so I'm not going to fold it in at this
> point.

Do you have another plan/approach on the windows port issue? For libcurl, we
need ares to build and run on as many platforms as possible (at least on
modern unixes and windows).

Another issue (for Mac OS X) was brought up by David Remahl and can be read
here:
http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2003-07/0112.html