Re: Question about CURLOPT_HTTPAUTH

From: Scott Becker <scottb_at_bxwa.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 13:01:21 -0700

James Gallagher wrote:

>header is send to the server (here's what it looks like:
>Authorization: Basic amltZzp3YXNfcXVpdA==, which seems odd since I
>thought with Basic authenticationthe username and password would be sent
>as plain text...)

The password is sent thinly veiled (base 64 or something). I've never
used Digest though I should look into it.

>PS. I was scanning the archive for this list, looking for info about
>authentication, and saw a request for a cache library. My application
>needs to do caching as well. I have written a C++ class that implements
>a 'mostly HTTP/1.1 compliant' cache. It's free to anyone who wants it. I
>claim it's thread-safe, but testing is only minimal.

Point me to it! I'll see if it can help me. I'm thinking of making a
separate project for it and adding hooks to libcurl to use it from there
(most logical I think). The majority of libcurl users may not need it
but it seems some would.

    Scott Becker