Re: NTLM proxy authentification

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 12:27:08 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Serge Semashko wrote:

> Here is a patch to curl 7.10.6 to use NTLM authentication on proxies. It a
> kind of hack, because the password is also sent to proxy in the basic
> authentication header, but it currently allows to use NTLM proxies. Hope it
> will be useful to those who is forced to use NTLM proxies (like I am).

Cool and thanks!

I'm thrilled to see that my proxy adjustments in the NTLM code worked that
nicely, as I haven't been able to test them.

Your code also makes some other rather weird assumptions, as it it uses the
'data->state.authwant' field to trigger the use of NTLM. That field is set to
request NTLM authentication for the target server, not the proxy.

We probably need to add a field to allow being able to set what kind of proxy
authentication you prefer. I don't think we even need to support multiple
authentication schemes when we're speaking proxy. If we do that, then
preventing that initial Basic authentication header will be easily fixed.

Would you be able to work a bit more on your patch to introduce this?

(Also, we probably could fix Digest to work on proxies at the same time when
we can set the type of auth for the proxy.)