From: Jerry G. Chiuan <>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 10:07:42 -0700

> Subject: Re: cookie and CURLOPT_COOKIEFILE
> On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 wrote:
> > curl_easy_setopt(handle_name, CURLOPT_COOKIEFILE, "" )
> Did you even try to do this? AFAICT, this is indeed a working way.
> > curl_easy_setopt(handle_name, CURLOPT_COOKIEFILE)
> This is not possible to detect and will never be a good way to specify
> anything.
> > nobody ca 100% guarantee the filename doesn't exist.
> I wrote "next to guaranteed" on purpose. Most systems can be very certain
> specific full path name won't exist, or will be zero bytes.
> But since sending in a zero-length file name works too, this issue is moot
> anyway.

Hi Daniel,
It doesn't work in my case, VC++ pops up "fopen( ) error"
could you please tell me how to specify "empty" file?
I don't want to specify a file which I know not to exist, what if somebody
accidentally creates a file with exactly the same absolute path!

> > Therefore, I think we can remove "pass file which doesn't exist" from
> > document for people who simply want to retrive cookie from server side,
> > existing file in disk.
> I don't understand. That's how libcurl currently works, why would we
> that paragraph from the document?

I mean, if we can specify "empty" file for libcurl to "simply turn on cookie
parser" instead of reading from existing cookie file, we don't need to
mention "pass file which doesn't exist" for *this purpose*

- Jerry

This email is sponsored by:ThinkGeek
Welcome to geek heaven.