Re: Problems when using the Curl "multi" interface (curl 7.12.0)

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 15:22:52 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, Henrik Stoerner wrote:

> This is interesting. Just building libcurl with c-ares did not change much,
> but then I increased the timeouts. Before they were connect:5 secs, full
> xfer: 10 secs. When increasing them to 30 and 60 secs respectively, all of
> the transfers succeed.

Could this be because the multi interface gets a large amount of handles and
sockets to loop around between?

Have you tried excluding https:// URLs and see if that makes anything
different? (SSL connections are still partly synchronous within libcurl.)

> BUT: The times are much longer than what I see when using the simple
> interface - orders of magnitude, in fact. With the simple interface,
> fetching a URL takes a fraction of a second; using the multi-interface both
> the connect and the total time are 5, 10 or even 20 seconds.

The vast amount of simultanoes URLs makes it really tricky to debug this. Can
you detect slowdowns already when using very few URLs, like 3 or 4?