Two Requests of Mine

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 15:13:04 +0200 (CEST)

(Sorry for the massive cross-post, I won't make it a habit, I promise!)

Please provide libcurl packages!
================================

Lately, I've seen many people in various forums have problems to find proper
packages for libcurl, both on Linux and Windows.

libcurl started life as a library used by curl only and it used to make sense
to keep providing the library in the curl packages.

These days, libcurl is used by a huge amount of programs (I've lost count, but
I figure we could easily name 100+) and curl is just one of them. It just
makes no sense anymore that Linux distros and other packagers keep on
providing libcurl only as part of curl packages.

This practise caused a major outburst in Debian land when we changed ABI the
last time, in the Redhat bug tracker there's a similar bug report added - and
I've seen other ditros and BSD-systems suffer from the same reason.

I would *REALLY* like to see separate packages provided for libcurl. Then
people that use program ZZZ can download and get only the lib, and not be
forced to deal with the concept that curl uses libcurl and that getting a
combined packages is the only way to go (especially when this user only wants
to get ZZZ running and doesn't care for curl).

curl would then be a stand-alone package that depends on the libcurl (or even
libcurl3) package.

I'd like to continue providing the *source code* in that kind of combined
package, but I don't think the source code packaging need to influence the
binary packaging very much.

Please Rename the PHP/CURL Binding!
===================================

I'm not sure if this mail reaches any person who is actually involved in this,
but it is a start.

PHP is a programming language. They provide a binding for libcurl that they
call... yes, CURL. While this may seem harmless, it is a major nuisance to all
newbies and to all of us who try to answer questions from these newbies. It
isn't easy for these guys to understand the differences between curl the
project, curl the command line tool and CURL the PHP binding.

Therefore I am now begging the PHP development team: PLEASE change name of the
binding for libcurl. No other libcurl binding (and there are currently 25(!)
other listed on the curl site) is named plain curl. I can't see any good
reason to name the PHP binding like this. I understand changing the name is a
lot of work and might confuse existing users, but I think it can be done in a
fairly transitional way if only the will and understanding for this name
confusion exist.

Also, if my first request from above is fulfilled, it'll become even easier
for PHP users to download and install the proper pieces to get their binding
working.

But no, I have no suggestion for a new name. In mails and on the web site I
try to call it PHP/CURL but that is an awkward name too.