Re: FTP SIZE Command

From: Wei Weng <wweng_at_kencast.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 14:56:44 -0400

Michael Smith wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> This helpful but seems clumsy to have to parse the header for the result, however I will go with it for my initial work.
>
> In addition to this is there anyway I can get a precise last write timestamp of a file on the FTP server.
>
> Thanks again,
> Mike

AFAIK, the "SIZE" command is not standardized. Check RFC 959 for a list of
standard FTP command. (http://www.zvon.org/tmRFC/RFC959/Output/index.html)

However, a even more clumsy way is to use "LIST" command then use ftpparse
utility (http://cr.yp.to/ftpparse.html), try to extract the file size
information, and pray that the format the FTP server returns is not too
strange not to be recognized. :)

Wei