Reverse DNS-Lookup by cURL?

From: <vibesz_at_gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 19:59:14 +0100 (MET)

Hi everybody,

thanks for this useful library, I already had a lot of fun with it :-)

Ok, but now I´m confused. I run a HTTP-Client using cURL on several machines
(Debian Linux), which use a connected mobile to retrieve content
over-the-air.
I give a proxy-IP and my interface-IP (given by the pppd), normally
everything works fine (I think cURL does not need to do a DNS-Lookup as I´m
using a proxy and there are no lookups in the trace).
Now I set up a new machine, and there I can see in the traces, that before
cURL tries to connect to the proxy, there are 2 Reverse-DNS-Lookups. Someone
(cURL?) tries to get the names for both IPs, the given proxy-IP and the
given interface-IP. I don´t know, why this does not happen on the other
machines, as I´m 99% sure, that all machines are configured in the same way.

So it would help a lot, if anybody could tell me, if cURL does these
reverse-lookups, and, if it does, why and in which case. I have no idea, why
a reverse-lookup is needed at all.

Thanks in advance!

Joachim