Specifying colon in authentication username

From: Achint Mehta <achintmehta_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 10:15:32 -0400

Hi,

I am using the 7.16.3 version of curl library.
Curl library's C API provides interface for specifying authentication
username and password.
However, the username and password have to be provided in a single API with
username and password separated with a colon.
This assumes that the username would not contain colon.

Is there any way that I can specify a username conatining a colon (or is it
a violation of protocol) ?
Curently, I have hacked the curl library to accept the username and password
(for HTTP) in two different curl_easy_setopt operations by splitting
CURLOPT_USERPWD into CURLOPT_USER and CURLOPT_PASSWORD.

Thanks.

Regards,
Achint