Curl, Openssl and Makefile.m32

From: Niall Twomey <twomers_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 22:57:53 +0100

Hi.

I have been using curl for a while now and I have recently come into the
need to use an ssl libary in conjunction with it so I decided to re-build
curl with openssl. However, I'm getting some errors which have been stomping
me for a while now in the: makefile -f Makefile.m32 SSL=1 part of the build.
I'm using windows xp sp2. I would use dev (4.9.9.2) but I don't know how to
specify the SSL=1 within the GUI. Here is a copy of the (from the last part
of the build), error I'm getting from dos prompt:

rm -f libcurl.dll
> gcc -s -shared -Wl,--out-implib,libcurldll.a -o libcurl.dll \
> FILE_NAMES.o libcurl.res -L../../openssl-0.9.8e/out -leay32 -lssl32
> -lws2_32
> -lwinmm
> ..\lib\gcc\mingw32\3.4.2\..\..\..\..\mingw32\bin\ld.exe: cannot find
> -leay32
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [libcurl.dll] Error 1

Also. Just as a test I've forced the makefile to accept ssl (for the GUI I
took away the ifdefs), and I get the same error about -leay32. As this is
within the ssl section I searched for files named leay32 and found one
called ssleay32.dll ... should I change the parameter-value in the makefile?
If I do I get the following error: unrecognised option '-ssleay32'. And if I
take out the -leay32 option altogether I'm told that it doesn't recognise
the lssl32 parameter.

This is all for the line: DLL_LIBS += -L$(OPENSSL_PATH)/out -leay32 -lssl32.
About line 50 in the makefile.m32 ... unfortunately I don't have much
experience with makefiles and such so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I can also build it with MSVC '03 but haven't done so because the
documentation available exampled for dev so I thought I'd give that a go.

Just a few questions for people who have done this before. After I have
build the openssl library I stored the output in place X. Should I copy that
to my dev location? And should I change the makefile reference to point
there? Or should the makefile reference (by which I mean the OPENSSL_PATH
variable), point to the "openssl-0.9.8e" folder I downloaded which gave all
the source files etc?

Please let me know if you need any more information on my options etc!

Thanks!