Re: Specifying colon in authentication username

From: Daniel Stenberg <>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 15:24:42 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 7 Sep 2007, David Shaw wrote:

> I've seen the various responses to this mail, but I am a bit confused. It
> seems that at least for basic auth, it would indeed be a violation of the
> protocol to have a userid with a colon in it.

Oh, right. I was stupidly just thinking about how to enter the user name, not
how it would be used in the protocols...!

But I figure the forbidding colon is only really forbidden for Basic as the
other authentication methods have other means of handling the name and

  Commercial curl and libcurl Technical Support: