Re: automatically appending ;type=<a|i> when using http proxies for ftp urls?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 00:02:04 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007, Michal Marek wrote:

> "CURLOPT_PROXY_SET_TRANSFER_MODE <-- could be shorter

I think 'SET' is already implied, so I'd be satisfied with:

CURLOPT_PROXY_TRANSFER_MODE

   Pass a long. If the value is set to 1 (one), it tells lib curl to set the
   transfer mode (binary or ASCII) for FTP transfers done via an HTTP proxy, by
   appending ;type=a or ;type=i to the URL. Without this setting, or it being
   set to 0 (zero) (the default), CURLOPT_TRANSFERTEXT has no effect when doing
   FTP via a proxy. Beware that not all proxies support this feature.

Note that I changed the description to explicitly mention 1 as the value to
use to enable this, as this leaves all other values apart from zero to be
reserved for the future.

> If you're fine with the above (and comes with an idea to do it
> automatically), I can write the patch for that.

I don't think we can do it automatically. What could be considered is rather
to drop the appending completely since users will only very rarely know that
the proxy they're gonna use supports this...