Re: CURLOPT_FTP_RESPONSE_TIMEOUT equivalent for HTTP?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 19:47:44 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 16 May 2008, Suresh Krishnappa wrote:

>>> Not sure why this is provided only for FTP. Is there anything in the
>>> pipeline for HTTP?
>>
>> I've never seen a reason to add it for HTTP. And no, I have no personal
>> plans to add it either.
>
> If you are trying to download a large file, the time taken to start the
> transfer could be small but the actual transfer will take time. So setting a
> timeout based on an estimate for the entire transfer may not be the best
> thing to do.
>
> FTP and HTTP shouldn't be very different with respect to this.

No, but then it shows you've misunderstood the purpose of this option. It is
used for controlling how long to wait for server responses to FTP commands,
not for how long to wait for the body to get transfered.

CURLOPT_LOW_SPEED_TIME and CURLOPT_LOW_SPEED_LIMIT might also be a way to
accomplish what you want.