Re: Multi interface ignores CURLOPT_TIMEOUT when CURLOPT_NOSIGNAL is used

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 22:21:49 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 16 May 2008, Christopher Palow wrote:

> Is the CURLOPT_TIMEOUT option on an easy handle supposed to be obeyed when
> CURLOPT_NOSIGNAL is enabled?

It is supposed to be obeyed no matter what you set CURLOPT_NOSIGNAL to. This
said, I've never considered CURLOPT_TIMEOUT to be very important when using
the multi interface since then you can easily deal with any sort of timeout
yourself in an easy manner.

> I actually don't have a threaded program so I'm turning signals back on now,
> but I figure most people using the multi interface also use threads.

I'll concur with Dan F and say that I respectfully disagree with that
conclusion. Many appliations use the multi interface exactly because they want
to avoid using threads.

> When I detect the timeout on my own I notice it's not in the timeout splay
> tree at all:

It's perfectly possible that it isn't working for the multi interface! I do
consider that a bug and I'll appreciate patches that correct this situation or
even example app source codes that help us track it down.