Re: openSUSE download links

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 22:07:30 -0700

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 05:11:03PM +0200, Michal Marek wrote:
> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/libraries:/c_c++/ has
> repositories with the most up-to-date (lib)curl packages for various
> openSUSE / SLES versions for i386 and x86_64. It would be great to link
> these from the "Linux - Suse" table on http://curl.haxx.se/download.html .

I've added links to a selection of these packages onto the download page.
Adding all combinations of OS versions, architectures and package types would
mean adding about 72 files, which is not only a big effort now but means
a big effort to keep up to date in the future as the repository structure
changes, package names change, etc. But it's good to see that SuSE is
supplying upgrades to curl even for older distros.

> For openSUSE 10.3 and Factory (to-be 11.0), it would be really cool to
> link these "metapackages"
> http://software.opensuse.org/ymp/devel:libraries:c_c%2B%2B/openSUSE_10.3/curl.ymp
> http://software.opensuse.org/ymp/devel:libraries:c_c%2B%2B/openSUSE_10.3/libcurl-devel.ymp
> instead of the rpm files, as but it's trickier to extract the version
> number then...

The download page doesn't link to any kinds of metapackage now. It's not
intended to replace a distro's own package tools but to point people as much
as possible to the most direct files that will help them to install
a curl binary. Presumably, those people for whom a metapackage would
be useful and understandable would already be using the native package
manager that supports them and won't need to use the curl download page.

> Also, for all distros, it would be good to link the actual repository in
> the rightmost column, like
> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/libraries:/c_c++/openSUSE_10.2/

The download page is already pretty complicated--I'm concerned that adding
even more links per package would make it even more difficult for new users
to understand. More advanced users would be able to navigate to the
repository by editing the URL manually. More links also means more links
to keep up to date, which is a manual process when the remote site structure
changes. But if you can think of a way to structure the download page to
improve all-around usability, I'm all ears!

>>> Dan