Re: library version bump

From: Joe Nardone <jnardone_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 19:27:18 -0400

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 5:25 PM, Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 04:50:40PM -0400, Joe Nardone wrote:
>> Additions to the API should not require a SONAME bump. Only if you're
>> changing or removing an existing API.
>
> That's what I say, too, but the libtool documentation says
>
> If any interfaces have been added, removed or changed since the last
> update, increment CURRENT...

Well, looking at

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Program-Library-HOWTO/shared-libraries.html

"Usually you can update libraries without concern; if there was an API
change, the library creator is supposed to change the soname. "

I think in this case we should acknowledge what GNU says, but we
should do what actually makes sense for the community. It does not
make sense to bump the SONAME when the API is backwards compatible.

joe