Running curl on GPRS.

From: Shakti Ashirvad <>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 15:33:13 +0530

Hi All,

We have developed one application which uses Glibcurl to fetch data from a
server. The data volumes are of 700K to 1M in size. The application never
failed for ethernet, however once we tried running on GPRS, it started
showing peculiar behavior.

- After downloading ~300K it got stuck and the writeDataCallbackFunction
stopped getting called.

We suspect that GPRS was not dropped however connection was very slow and
several packets might have been dropped.

How do we recover, if network stops sending data. We tried the
CURLOPT_TIMEOUT option, but since the data is large for a slow connection,
we want to detect if packets stop coming to us in the middle and not to
judge on total download time. I hope I am making myself clear. Please let me
know if any other information is required.