RE: Curl_getaddinfo_ex and conditionals mess

From: Patrick Monnerat <Patrick.Monnerat_at_datasphere.ch>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 11:25:56 +0100

Phil Blundell wrote:

>> > But this problem seems to show that it is no longer possible to
>> > compile libcurl without ares for a system that supports IPv6 but
not
>> > getaddrinfo()... It used to be !
>>
>> Is this an actual problem? What platforms support IPv6 but have no
>> getaddrinfo()?
>
> getaddrinfo() is part of the IPv6 Basic Sockets API (see RFC 3493).
So, by definition, any platform which lacks that function cannot really
be said to support IPv6.

> If OS400 lacks getaddrinfo() then, harsh as it might sound, I think
the best option is to provide an emulation for that function in some
support library. It sounds like libcurl already requires some wrapper
assistance to run properly on this platform for character-set reasons,
so this shouldn't be too much of a hardship.

Yes, you're right, and I did write an ASCII wrapper. In fact the problem
is not the function by itself but the conditional tag named
"HAVE_GETADDRINFO": I just forgot to define it in config-os400.h. Anyway
I think the name is a bad choice, since it may suggest libcurl IPv6 can
be enabled (independently of ares) even if you do not have it (or if the
target system implements it in a non-libcurl-compatible way!).