SOCKS5 problems (was Re: New to cURL)

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 22:13:35 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009, Alex wrote:

Please take a moment to read up on our mailing list etiquette. You'll find a
link to iy at the end of this mail. You just violated at least two of the
guidelines: 1) use sensible subjects and more importantly 2) don't hijack
other threads by using reply instead of creating a new mail!

> Hello, im trying to use SOCKS5 function in curl, but every time i receive
> error #7 CURLE_COULDNT_CONNECT (7)
>
> Failed to connect() to host or proxy.

Is that last line really the exact error message? I can't find any such string
within libcurl. It'll help us much more if you instead showed us exactly what
libcurl reported when it returned CURLE_COULDNT_CONNECT.

> Which option can set CONNECT TIMEOUT to socks5 proxy ?
>
> CURLOPT_CONNECTTIMEOUT doesn't work well i think.

That's the only connect timeout option we have. In what way doesn't it work?

And also, always mention what libcurl version you're using and on what
operating system.