Re: configure failure on Solaris9

From: Steven M. Schweda <>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 12:03:41 -0500 (CDT)

> Perhaps a well-written test program would use the usual C++ bracket
> code, like, say:
> [...]
> around its function prototypes, but I'd guess that this would be more
> work than it would be worth. [...]

   But, knowing that a C++ compiler won't work well with these test
programs, a clever "configure" script might contain an early test to
recognize the use of a C++ compiler, and then fail promptly with an
informative message (instead of bleating about "connect", well down the

> [...] Especially when most people simply use a C
> compiler for C code, not a C++ compiler. [...]

   But such a C++-compiler test in "configure" might save some
diagnostic time and effort in the future (in the unlikely event that
anyone else ever tries this).

   Steven M. Schweda sms_at_antinode-info
   382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
   Saint Paul MN 55105-2547
List admin: