Is there a canonical callback implementation for 'remote thingy exists'?

From: John Utz <John.Utz_at_dmx.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 14:34:33 -0700

Hi;

My limited understanding of libcurl leads me to conclude that to create a 'remote file or directory exists' function i want to create a 'do nothing' callback.

The docs indicate that it should return a number different then what is getting passed into it as a filesize for the remote file and this will cause the curl_easy_perform() to abort.

However, i am a bit unsure as to what it should return, it seems like it should be any negative number.

I reach this conclusion because a file has a size of 0 or greater and i wont always know in advance how large the file is.

But I dont know how a directory is sized, so i am uncertain as to what would be an appropriate canonical number to return that would work in all circumstances.

I also want to avoid downloading anything in this circumstance, because i have no interest in the content of the files or directories, i just want to get the existence answer as frugally as possible.

What do the rest of you do?

tnx!

johnu