RE: Did you use an alternative library?

From: Patrick Monnerat <Patrick.Monnerat_at_datasphere.ch>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 10:40:04 +0200

> Is there anyone around here who have used one of the alternative open
libraries for data transfers and ...

Yes: I used ftplib on OS400 for ftp client functions. I stopped using it
because it did not evolved and the maintainer did not even answer to my
e-mailed patches and forum posts. The web site seems abandoned and the
forum is not reachable anymore.

http://nbpfaus.net/~pfau/ftplib/

This is a simple FTP (-only) client API: no SSL, no EPSV, single
transfer at a time. It is simpler to use than libcurl, because it is not
based on callbacks. But is is also much less powerful.

The documentation is OK: http://nbpfaus.net/~pfau/ftplib/ftplib.html

I have designed some patches for it (some are OS400 specific, some are
bug fixes) and these were also useful to some aussie user (sent them to
him by e-mail).

There are still some applications using it here, but I recommend to my
collegues using libcurl instead of it for new developments.

Cheers,
Patrick