Re: Did you use an alternative library?

From: Guenter <lists_at_gknw.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 13:13:04 +0200

Am 16.10.2010 11:13, schrieb Daniel Stenberg:
> Hi!
>
> I just updated the page http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/competitors.html on
> the web site and it reminded me to ask:
>
> Is there anyone around here who have used one of the alternative open
> libraries for data transfers and is able to provide a comparison? It's
> of course a way to "promote" libcurl more but I also honestly want to
> help people find the right tool for their jobs, be it libcurl or another
> library.
I've used 'wininet / XMLHTTP Object' from VBcript for simple Win32
scripting tasks, but I find its hard to control. Just recently when I
wanted to checkin the mk-ca-bundle.vbs script I found that meanwhile the
Mozilla folks seem to have updated their LXR stuff which causes that now
the certdata.txt file is marked as UTF-8 which in turn confuses wininet
in such a way that I need now to hack around with AdoDB to convert the
raw data from UTF-8 to plain text (what it still is); I tried for some
days to find a solution to convince wininet to just accept the (non-)
UTF-8 page as plain text, but found nothing - no matter how hard I tried
Google ....
Another downside is that at least XMLHTTP does no longer support other
protocols than http(s) - they are now blocked 'for security reasons'.
That's the well-known M$ security: disable everything, and nothing can
harm anymore. I wait for the day when the next overnight update disables
the NIC completely for every traffic other than to M$ sites ...

Gün.

(BTW. section libwww: "More complex, and and harder ..." - one 'and' is
obsolete ...)